Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Reaction to BASA: Forward of the Year

Really, I'll only comment on the BASAs if I don't agree. So, with the young player (Dempsey), midfielder (DeRo), and geezer (Djorkaeff) I agreed enough not to feel like I had to say anything.

Now with forward of the year I agree that Taylor Twellman was the man in front of the net. Not only does he score goals, but most importantly for the Revs he finds the net in clutch situations.

Jaime Moreno is a fine player and a great goal scorer, but I don't agree that he is the second most dangerous marksman in the league. Yes, he was #2 in goals for the year with 16, but 9 of those came from the penalty spot. In comparison to the others on the top scorers list Twellman took 0 penalties; Donovan buried 4 from the spot; Cunningham put 2 of his dozen goals from 12 yards; and Guevara scored 4 of his 11 goals as pks.

Just for kicks and giggles, what would the scoring table look like if we took out penalties?

RankPlayerGoals
1.Twellman17
2.C. Gomez11
2.H. Gomez11
4.Cunningham10
5.Donovan8
5.Ruiz8
7.Moreno7
7.Guevara7


I understand that a goal from the spot is still a goal on the score sheet. But this table is simply taking a look at who scores more often in live play and thus is a better forward.

And now to comment on scaryices point on Herc being above LD in the voting. Landon Donovan is far and away a better player than Gomez at every facet of the game. That's pretty obvious. From what we've seen of Herc, he's a one trick pony only posting 2 assists. But, with a guy like Landon feeding the ball to Herc putting him in situations to score, I would have to agree with the voting. Gomez has been a better forward this year for the Galaxy.

4 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger D said...

Sir -- I find your lack of faith in Mr. Moreno disturbing. I humbly submit that it takes nerves of steel, a stomach of asbestos, and the accuracy of Odysseus to become a top PK taker. As for Mr. H. Gomez, he will always be the second best Gomez in the league.

Sincerely,

An overly rabid DCU fan.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Agreed. Christian Gomez is much more creative and very lethal in front of the net. The only reason I didn't discuss him here was because he played mostly in the midfield for United from what I remember.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger D said...

Mr. C. Gomez does only play midfield. But being an overly rabid DCU fan means feeling insecure about how other people rate the Gomezes, so we constantly have to remind people that C is better than H (as well as first alphabetically)

PS, I should have added you to the MLS Team Blogroll a long time ago. But I didn't want DCU to be outnumbered by RSL :D

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Colin Lewis said...

I love the revised scoring table. Numbers don't lie. Excellent statistical fanalysis (fanalysis = fan analysis. See http://sportsfanalysis.blogspot.com for more).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home