Sunday, October 30, 2005

Rocky Mountin Cup to the Crapids (belated)

I wasn't going to write about the Rocky Mountain Cup final. I figured the moment had past, and those emotions were gone. But, my friend Eric (known to some as Deuce) handed my some pictures from that night and all those emotions came back.

For Salt Lake supporters the game sucked because the guys played like they cared for once, but it had been so long that the whole team had done so that they couldn't figure out how to seal the deal.

The Rapids went on to win on a goal by Fabrice Noel and with a flurry of streamers at the final whistle that was it; the season was over.

At the presentation of the Cup to the Rapids Jeff Cunningham instantly ran to Supporters' Corner hoisting the trophy in the air. Cannon and other Rapids players joined in. Sure they were gloating, but at least they cared enough to do so. These players were playing the game. Yes, they were taunting our fans, but it was all in good fun. They had their moment and it was done.

And for those on both sides of C-10, I want you to know that behind closed doors the Rapids players were genuinely thrilled to win the trophy. When I entered the locker for post-game interviews the cup sat on a table in the middle of the room. A couple of players, who I don't remember, were joyfully discussing receiving their first professional trophy. So, well done by all party's in putting the competition together. I think the players have taken to it.

On the way up the ramp (leaving the Rice-Eccles field area you have to walk up a ramp and through a crowd of people to get out. Both players and personnel have to pass through) I happened to be walking with Cunningham. He looked up and saw the wall of young autograph seekers waiting and hesitated. I mentioned that it can be tough to get through. The guy just started talking to me until we got through the crowd. I guess I made him look occupied enough so that he wouldn't have to stop. I don't know, but now I have a different level of respect for the man.

I reached a couple other supporters and chatted with them for a bit. Then we all had the same weird feeling that we didn't want to leave. This amazing thing of having a Major League Soccer team in our area we didn't want to stop. There was lamenting about having to wait until April to see the boys play again.

It's going to be a long winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home