Thursday, October 27, 2005

Reaction to BASA: Defender of the Year

The soccer bloggers awards, known as BASA, announced the results for the defender of the year award. The committee voted in the following fashion:

1. Danny Califf
2. Eddie Robinson
3. Tyrone Marshall

While this is a descent listing of quality MLS defenders, I pose a few questions. How is Califf the best defender in the league when he's not even the best defender on his team? San Jose had the best defense in the league and Califf was a big contributer to that back line for the games he was in. But, there were others who had a better year - namely Robinson and Barrett.

Marshall? I don't know about that one. I know that being an RSL supporter I have no room to talk about defenses, but it never struck me that anything about LA's defense was that hot this year. Hartman had some nice saves. I would have put Dunivant before Marshall, but maybe you guys saw something I didn't.

Personally, Conrad would be in my top three mainly due to his consistency with Kansas City led to a break out year with the National team.

Parkhurst also deserves to be on the list as he has played every minute for the Revs this season. Not bad for a rookie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home