Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"That was bad. That was inexcusable AND bad."

There was a time when you would have heard that about the US when playing Mexico, but not on this night. In all honesty, I didn't know what to expect. Bradley's second cap at the helm with hardly the best American side possible and Mexico bringing in their big guns.

I don't follow the Mexican team very close - my ignorant mono-linguil self hinders any in-depth research - but when I saw every recognizable name in the Mexican lineup I was more than worried. The play in the first half didn't exactly calm things down in my stomach either.

Landon came out of the gates playing his recently favorite conservative self. His first few touches were all backwards. I actually don't mind backwards play in the name of keeping possession. But, I remember when Landon used to play with the lethal confidence of turning and taking on defenders and destroying them at will. Like when he scored in 90th minute.

That's when the cameras caught the Mexican 'keeper Oswaldo half-heartedly attempting to take out a US player (Johnson?) during the celebration. The incident caused Waldo to spew the words that are the title of this post. Why it's still making me chuckle, I'm not sure.

One thing I did discover tonight is that I think I'm becoming a Bornstein Believer. Not that I ever really doubted his talent with Chivas, I just wasn't sure he would translate to a solid international player after only one season as a professional. Bornstien sured up the left side of the defense quite well, and is my leading candidate for keeping that spot at this point.

Now that the bleeding at left back looks to be slowing, ironically now the other side of the US defense needs some work. Albright was just plain off against Mexico. As the second half wore on the Galaxy defender was repeatedly lit up and passed over by green clad attackers. Albright would be replaced by Josh Gros who, getting his first cap, looked as scared as I would be playing in my first International against Mexico in front of over 60,000 people.

I don't see Bradley loosing his spot as head coach. US Soccer President Sunil Gulati mentioned at halftime that there would be no change until the European seasons were over at least. But, I just don't see it happening, barring that Bradley doesn't train wreck the squad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home