Sunday, October 01, 2006

Draw keeps RSL playoff hopes hanging by an unraveling thread

With the comeback draw against Kansas City on Saturday night Real Salt Lake is either gearing up for the most dramatic push to the playoffs, or the slowest most painful death to a season.

I'll be honest. After Josh Wolff blasted home his goal only six minutes into the match I was ready to call it a night. Why had I stayed up till 11:30 to watch the replay only to see our playoff hopes die in such a quick fashion before my eyes?

In the sick name of fan loyalty I remained awake and glued to channel 5 hoping that a break might fall RSL's way.

Disappointed that Atiba was starting up top rather than Jeff - who turned out to be nursing a hamstring - I was just about ready to dive into all to well known list of the many reasons I don't like Atiba Harris to my brother in-law until Chris Klein made his run around the the Wizards defense. His initial shot was batted away by the Wizards goalkeeper. But, Klein gathered in the rebound to chip a perfect cross to the head of none other than Harris. The St. Kitts striker silenced me again as he touched in a set piece just before the break. The kid doubled his season goal output in one half of play.

Ironically, the last time I was this vocal about my displeasure of an RSL player he happened to scored his only goal of the season. That player was Douglas Sequeira.

Although the match remained very disjointed, I was optimistic about our chances going into the second half. Every time the scores from across the league flashed on screen it seemed that New England had scored another goal on Colorado. With the Rapids loosing and RSL in the lead an excited feeling that tonight might be special began to build in my gut. After KC pounded two more goals home I realized that I had mistook that feeling for gas caused by my chimichanga I had for dinner.

Colorado's 3-1 loss to New England was made official and Salt Lake fell behind. TV commentators Hatch and Frasier talked about how a loss would not entirely eliminate RSL from the playoffs. But, we all know that realistically it would be next to impossible if we were to get no points from Kansas City.

Jason Kreis saved my night - and Salt Lake's season - when we followed his own rebound to pop in the equalizing goal.

The Rapids - who haven't won for three weeks - are doing everything they can to help RSL into the playoffs. Our draw tonight brings us within 2 points of Colorado and that last playoff spot.

The Galaxy put the hurt on their Home Depot Center housemates beating Chivas 3-0 tonight. Los Angeles are now only a point behind Salt Lake.

No matter how you spin the scenarios, RSL needs six points out of it's final two games. If we can do that all we need is for the Rapids to loose once. If that plays out we're in and LA is a non-factor.

Anything less than three points in either of RSL's games (Houston at home this Saturday; Chivas away the week following) and you may as well stick a fork in Salt Lake's 2006 season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home