Wednesday, October 25, 2006

BASA: Rookie of the Year - Explanation of My Vote

Rookie of the Year

1- Jonathan Bornstein
2- Mehdi Ballouchy
3- Marvell Wynne

All that needs to be said about Bornstein is that he started in more games and played more minutes than anyone else on his entire team. He’s listed as a defender but has seen time all over the park while amassing 6 goals and 4 assists. Bornstein is a major reason for Chivas' improvement this season.

While Mehdi Ballouchy may not have been as impressive on paper as Bornstein, his contribution was equally as vital. When RSL got control of the midfield it was usually through Ballouchy’s efforts. He tended to roam freely no matter what side of the midfield he was listed at playing. His composure on the ball and smart passes broke down some of the most solid defenses in the league.

At this point I’d like to admit a mistake I made in voting. For some strange reason I figured that rookie meant first year in MLS. So, naturally I put in Kenny Cooper, who has previous professional experience in the Manchester United system. Scaryice over at Climbingin the Ladder pointed out my mistake and so I just threw out Marvell Wynne’s name. I apologize because I really don’t know if he had all that great of a season. I know I saw him make some intelligent decisions in back and he has a pair of game winning assists. But, I should say that in comparison to all the hype shoveled on him at the 2005 SuperDraft as the top pick, I don’t think he dominated in a way that some people thought he would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home