Saturday, July 08, 2006

WC: And a Pigstacker shall lead them...


Bastian Schweinsteiger saved his best for last as he had a hand in all three German goals in their 3-1 victory over Portugal in the World Cup third place match.

Foreseeing the low amount of intensity in this match I actually opted to completely skip the first half and instead spend the time with my wife and five month old daughter at the pool. When I eventually started heading over to watch the game halftime was just ending. But, rather than drive up to campus as quick as possible, I decided I was hungry and went the opposite direction to Wendy's to pick up a couple sandwiches.

Now that I was really on my way I was surprised by how not rushed I felt. I figured the game was either knotted at nothing, or Germany blew the game out in the first 15 minutes. Neither was the case. All though the intensity was right about where I thought it would be. To me it looked just a hair more serious than an All-Star game.

It was the Schweinsteiger Show as the kid blasted a pair of beauties from distance and forced an own-goal. When Figo shuffled on to the pitch around the hour mark Portugal were able to pull a goal back after a precise cross from the former FIFA World Player of the Year (2002).

And to bring this all back around to the title. During the semi-final on Monday there was a lad in our group would lived in Germany for a few years. He snickered when heard Schweinsteiger's name. Explained that translated into english the name means Pigstacker...it's a good thing that kid can shoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home