Thursday, May 19, 2005

Part 2: "Hardest Approach Ever"

RSL was on the giving end of late goal heroics this night. Entering the Galaxy locker room after the match, everyone had the look of 'we just lost to one team Chivas has beaten.' There was increased media in the visiting locker room due to the presence of Landon Donovan. We found Donovan with his feet up on the bench, arms wrapped round his knees, and his face buried in his arms. With out a word or even eye contact he was screaming 'don't bother me.' For a moment I didn't want to. I've respected and even admired Landon's abilities and what he has done for soccer in the United States for years, and now I had to walk up to him and ask him why his team stunk that night.

I stepped up, introduced myself and shot my first question to him. There was ten seconds of silence as he stared at the floor. Slowly he answered and the interview went fine after that point. It was the first comeback victory played by RSL, and all I'll remember from it was the image of a frustrated Landon Donovan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home