Monday, April 05, 2010

2009 Road Form Returns for RSL



As a defender for much of my playing days, I really enjoy watching Jamison Olave - most of the time. A few seasons back I heard on opposing coach mention of Olave, that he was a solid defender but that he was good for at least one major mistake per game. Ever since I heard that I've noticed Olave's weak moments, and have discovered that the coach's statement was extremely accurate on most occasions.

On Thursday Olave was good for two mistakes. To hasty challenges resulted in two penalties pounded in by Brad Davis.

The title of this entry is a bit misleading, as the Champions were able to score. The build up was pristine, with the finish matching the entire play in quality. With only two games done, RSL have now nearly reached their halfway point on road goals scored from 2009. So, on that level, the overall match wasn't bad.

Does anyone really know what got into Fabian Espindola's head toward the end of the match when tried to take an unsolicited piggyback ride on Houston's Bobby Boswell? All I can say is that Espi got away with flipping out on the pitch and not getting sent off.

My final point I wanted to bring up was regarding Robbie Findley. Even though he hasn't found his scoring touch this season, his first touch continues to make me smile. Watch when Findley receives a pass. Last year the ball would bounce a little away from him, and in tight spots he would lose it. This year the ball is staying tight to his body, keeping the striker in complete possession of the ball - even in tight spaces.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're being kind to Findley by saying the ball would bounce a "little" away from him. It was a bit more than that. I agree with you completely, however, that this year his touch is much, much better.

By the way I think you mean "lose" instead of "loose" in the paragraph about Findley.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Scott said...

In comparison to how far the ball bounces away from me when I try to collect it, Findley only has it bounce a "little" away from him :)

Seriously though, his finishing really seems to be struggling and I wanted to point out where he had improved.

Thanks for the comment...catch on my misuse of words. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home